Monday, February 7, 2011

Mood Boost, Fruit Salad, Push Up Tips


Tip of the Day: Mood Boost

Working out, and this blog for that matter, is not all about just losing weight. It's about getting to where you feel healthiest and happiest. A lot of let the excuse of a stressful day determine whether we're going to go to the gym that night, or work out at all. If anything, a stressful day should be the factor that makes you go to the gym! Exercising releases a hormone that will completely boost your mood! It'll just cause you to feel happier. It'll reduce your stress levels, and it may also be as effective as some medications known to help depression. I know for a fact that's true after learning it first hand a couple years ago! So even you feel like you don't need to exercise because you spent all of your energy at work getting stressed over a specific assignment, someone upset you, or anything to cause you stress at all, work that body out and relieve some tension! It won't only make you happier, but it'll make you more fun to be around!


Healthy Recipe: Fruit Salad

This is so simple I was actually debating if I could count it as a recipe! But, I love it, and it is such a healthy snack to have in the fridge, I just couldn't resist.

Strawberries
2 Peaches
2 Apples
raspberries
Cantaloupe
Over all, any fruit you love except for bananas. They smash to easily.
Honey
Lemon Juice

In a large bowl mix a large dollop of honey (depending on how much fruit you're planning to use) and lemon juice (enough to liquefy the honey into a thin syrup) with a fork. Add all the fruit you like, and mix until all is coated with the honey/lemon juice mixture. Just judge by the taste. I don't like an overpowering taste of lemon juice, so I put a little less in. Whatever you love!

Exercise: Push Ups

I suck at push-ups. I'm not even going to pretend that I'm this amazing personal trainer who can do a million push-ups in a minute. I know I'll be great someday! Especially if I try these moves first:

1) Modified Push Up
Like a regular push-up except your knees are resting on the ground and ankles are toward the sky, feet crossed. Make sure body is one straight line from knees to head.

2)Incline Push Up
In push up stance, but hands on a bench rather than the ground.

These exercises will help prepare you for the real thing. You want to be able to do 15-20 reps in a row w/ perfect form. Then slowly try and do regular push ups between sets!


For those who are blessed w/ good upper body strength (most men I know), here are some moves to help your push ups be more challenging.

1)Stacked-Feet Push Up
Regular push up form, but one foot on top of the other one that's on the ground.

2)Decline Push Up
Like "incline push up" except your feet are the ones on the bench, not your hands.

3)Push up, feet on ball
Like "Decline push up" except feet are on a stability ball rather than a bench.

4)Stability Ball Push Up
Regular push up form, except hands are on the ball.

Good Luck!

3 comments:

  1. A buddy of mine at work and I are doing 200 push ups a day for a year. We started Jan 1st. As of today, we are at 7800. It will be 73,000 by the end of the year. The Idea is to average 200 per day, so some days we do more so we can take days off to rest. If we do a chest workout that includes bench press we count those toward our 200 for the day. When we started I could do 30-35 at a time. I'm up to 55-60 now. It started out as a challenge to see who would quit first. We've both seen such improvement, we're both in for the year for sure. Nice site by the way. I plan on using some of your recipes at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dehn! I'm using your push up challenge as an exercise tip, I hope that's ok? It's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete