Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Frequent Eating, Tomato Strata, "The Teaser"


Tip of the Day: Frequent Eating


Eating smaller, more frequent meals through out the day will be a huge benefit for not only your weight loss, but your health as well! It keeps you fueled through out your day, will keep you from overeating, and help your body to be more efficient at burning calories. Why wouldn't you do this? What I do is make sure I eat every 3 hours. I'll have breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, then dinner. Making sure that all these small meals are between 3-5 hours apart. And dinner is always larger. Incorporate this into your daily routine, and you won't be disappointed!



Healthy Recipe: Tomato Strata


Again, I have to thank another cooking show for this recipe. "Every Day Italian" with Giada. This is a great snack, and great for enertaining as well! I have to point out that my husband and I tried this recipe last night, and used ricotta cheese instead of goat cheese. Do NOT do this. I know nothing about cheese, so when I couldn't find goat cheese, I used ricotta because...well I don't actually know my reasoning! So, just keep in mind. Use the goat cheese.


8 oz goat cheese (the softened kind in the container, not the crumbles)

1/2 c heavy cream

3/4 c fresh basil

3/4 c fresh mint

1 c extra virgin olive oil

1 tomato


Start with the cheese topping. Mix the 8 oz of goat cheese and 1/2 c heavy cream in a bowl, and then set aside.


In a food processor, add 3/4 c basil and 3/4 c of mint. While they're mixing, add 1 c of olive oil.


Slice the tomato about 1/2" to 3/4" thick and set the slices on the their dishes.


Top with a big dollop of the cheese mixture, follwed by a nice sized drizzle of the basil/mint oil.


Keep in mind you must like tomatoes to like this recipe. Hope you enjoy! I will try this recipe again once I can find some goat cheese, and let you know how I feel about it.



Exercise: "The Teaser"


Here is a great abdominal work out to incorporate into your work out routine! It's called "the teaser". It's a pilates move mostly for women, but men can do it also!


Lie face-up and lift your legs so your thighs are perpendicular to the floor and your knees are bent 90 degrees.

Raise your hands toward the ceiling.

Lift your torso and straighten your legs, so your body forms a V.

Hold for one second, then roll back down, keeping your legs raised.

Do 8 to 10 reps


I read that this will activate 39% more of your rectus abdominus muscle (your six-pack) and 266% more of your external obliques (love handle area). Yeah. Definitely do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment