Monday, May 16, 2011

Friend vs. Foe, Couscous Cakes over Tomato-Olive Salad, Plank Up/Downs




OK people! I've neglected my blog, and I have no real excuse. I'm still passionate about fitness and nutrition, and have been making excuses to not post. So, I apologize, but I'm not going to linger on it or I'll just feel worse. I'll be posting weekly (I'll try for 2x a week and any more will be a bonus!). Thanks for all of you who read this blog, I'll get my act together, promise!


Tip: Friend vs. Foe


Make friends with your scale. This is one tip that I need to take my own advice from. I weigh in weekly, but it freaks me out getting my scale out. It should not be this way, but I know a lot of people who would agree with me. So, make your scale your friend, not your foe! Weigh in daily (I know alot of people don't recommend this, but it will help you get to know your body a lot better.) If you don't want to do it daily, do it at lease weekly so you know where your body is at. Do it in the early morning, right as you wake up, after you pee, and before you get dressed for the day. If you want to, you can plug in your weight on an online chart (try livestrong.com-there are many others though) and track your weight loss/weight maintenance. If you're trying to lose weight, seeing the numbers go down on the chart will motivate you like non other!



Healthy Recipe: Cous Cous Cakes over Tomato-Olive Salad



Cakes:
1/3 cup uncooked whole-wheat couscous

1/2 cup boiling water

1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

3 tbs egg substitute

2 tbs finely chopped green onions

1/8 tsp ground pepper

2 tsp olive oil

cooking spray


Salad:

2/3 cup chopped seeded tomato

2 tbsp chopped pitted kalamata olives

2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

2 tsp red wine vinegar

1/2 tsp olive oil

1/8 tsp ground pepper

3 cups gourmet salad greens

1. To prepare cakes, place couscous in a medium bowl; sitr in 1/2 cup boiling water. Cover and let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff w/ a fork. Cook slightly. Add cheese and the enxt 3 ingredients (through pepper). Heat 2 tsp oil in a large nonstick skillet coated w/ cooking spray over med-high heat. Spoon about 1/3 cup couscous mixture into 4 mounds in pan. Lightly press w/ a spatula to flatten to 1/2 inch. Cook 1 minutes or until lightly browned. Coat tops of cakes w/ cooking spray. Carfully turn cakes over; cook 2 minutes or until heated.

2. To prepare salad, combine tomato and next 5 ingredients (through pepper). Arrange 1 1/2 cups greens on each of 2 plates. Top each serving w/ 1/2 cup tomato mixture; arrange 2 cakes over tomoato mixture.

This meal is soo good. It's pretty light, so it's perfect for a lunch! This makes 2 servings at 289 calories a serving.



Exercise: Plank Up/Downs


This is a great exercise to get your heart rate going! It's a core and an arm workout all in one. Add this to your workout routine, I would say you won't be sorry you did, but if you do this exercise right, you will be!


Get in prone plank position (push up position w/ elbow/forearms on the ground) Leaning on your right elbow, push your self up w/ your left arm, followed by your right arm until your in pushup position. Then get yourself back down to plank, left arm first. Do 20 like this, and then repeat, doing another 20 w/ your right arm. Do 3 sets.




No comments:

Post a Comment